We need each other
Sunday March 22nd and week three of social distancing due to the coronavirus outbreak is in full swing. I am not panicking as of yet however, I am growing more concerned by the day. I believe it may be due to the fact that I have watched one too many movies focused on killer epidemics and total social meltdown. I am also currently playing a game in which a virus is intentionally set out and ravages New York and Washington D.C. The social order has been obliterated and what is left is anarchy in the streets of this virtual world. I am seeing just like everyone else is in real time how a failure in leadership has severe consequences. People in leadership are more concerned with advancing a narrative and looking out for themselves rather than trying to ensure that government fulfills its most important function and that is to protect its people. These things are terrible, however, this and many other things involved with this situation is beyond your and my control. What we can control is how we treat each other. Now more than ever is the time for human beings to come together and look out for one another.
I may be overstating that last point, however, the run on toilet paper in the few weeks since the outbreak is very telling. Toilet paper and other groceries are being horded at beyond the levels when people thought the world was going to end at y2k or 2012. I have seen facebook and instagram videos of people with baskets full of toilet paper and some people with baskets full of meat. I dont have to tell any of you that hording anything that is going to go bad because it will expire before you can eat it is ridiculous. There were people with extra gallons of milk too among other groceries that expire. I once saw a movie where it was stated that it was in our nature to destroy each other. I have gone my entire life not believing this because having worked in social services for a time I have seen the goodness that is in people time and time again. People have been in need and other more fortunate individuals have stepped up to provide. In my naivete I assume this will continue however in light of recent events my confidence that human beings will not check out of their humanity is getting less and less. We need each other more than ever. On another note if you have not seen The Last Dragon I do wonder what planet you are from. However with all this time on our hands I urge you all to educate yourselves on the legend that is the shogun of New York.
I may be overstating that last point, however, the run on toilet paper in the few weeks since the outbreak is very telling. Toilet paper and other groceries are being horded at beyond the levels when people thought the world was going to end at y2k or 2012. I have seen facebook and instagram videos of people with baskets full of toilet paper and some people with baskets full of meat. I dont have to tell any of you that hording anything that is going to go bad because it will expire before you can eat it is ridiculous. There were people with extra gallons of milk too among other groceries that expire. I once saw a movie where it was stated that it was in our nature to destroy each other. I have gone my entire life not believing this because having worked in social services for a time I have seen the goodness that is in people time and time again. People have been in need and other more fortunate individuals have stepped up to provide. In my naivete I assume this will continue however in light of recent events my confidence that human beings will not check out of their humanity is getting less and less. We need each other more than ever. On another note if you have not seen The Last Dragon I do wonder what planet you are from. However with all this time on our hands I urge you all to educate yourselves on the legend that is the shogun of New York.

Sho' Nuff!
ReplyDelete